No matter how healthy your are, headaches happen. After back pain, headaches are the second type of chronic pain that most people suffer. Sometimes, they become so terrible it’s impossible to do or think about anything else. Luckily, there are simple ways to get rid of your headache quickly at home before seeking help from your local chemist.
But before we dive into the best home remedies for headaches, let’s first learn the different types and what causes them.
Types of Headaches
There are generally two types of headaches: primary and secondary. Primary headaches occur when there are problems or over activity with sensitive organs inside your head. The good news is these are not symptoms of a disease. Some of the primary headaches that you can experience are the following:
- Cluster Headache – One of the most intense types of headache that happens in cluster periods and awakens you in the middle of the night. These are rather rare compared to other primary types of headaches.
- Migraine – This can cause serious throbbing pain on one side of your head. Sometimes it creates a pulsing sensation that comes along with vomiting, nausea, and extra sensitivity to sound and light.
- Migraine with aura – A recurring type of primary headache that happens when sensory disturbances like flashes of light and other vision changes suddenly occur. It gives the same intensity of pain as Migraine.
- Tension headache – This is the common type of headache that causes mild to moderate pain and gives a feeling of having a tight rope tied around your head.
Causes of Headaches
Primary headaches are commonly caused by lifestyle activities, such as the following:
- Alcohol intake
- Eating processed meat containing nitrates
- Lack of sleep or sudden change in sleeping pattern
- Skipping meals
Meanwhile, the causes of secondary headache are problems or diseases of the different body organs, which include the following:
- Acute sinusitis – Swollen or inflamed sinuses (spaces inside your nose) that cause difficulty in breathing.
- Concussion – A traumatic brain injury caused by a hard blow to the head.
- Dehydration – A condition triggered by the lost or insufficient intake of water.
- Glaucoma – An eye condition wherein the optic nerves are damaged, giving you poor vision.
- High-blood pressure – Sometimes called hypertension, it’s a common condition characterized by strong blood flow to your narrowing arteries.
- Flu – Also called Influenza, it is caused by a viral infection that assaults your lungs, nose, and throat (respiratory system).
Other common causes of secondary headache are dental problems, ear infection, hangovers, brain freeze, and overuse of pain medicine.
Home Remedies for Headaches
Whatever type of headache you may be experiencing, there are remedies that can lessen or totally alleviate the pain. Follow these simple tips to get rid of your headaches quickly at home.
Apply an Ice Pack
Place a pack or bag of ice cubes on your forehead for no more than 15 minutes then take a break for another 15 minutes. Do this cycle until you feel the pain going away. You can also take a cold shower as an alternative. This tip is very effective on Migraines, Migraines with aura, and headaches due to hangover.
Use a hot compress
Tension headaches can be remedied by a simple hot compress around your neck. You can use a warm towel or a heating pad, whichever is available. Apply the warm compress until the pain subsides.
Dim your lights
To relieve stress on your eyes, dim the lights on your room or shut it completely by closing the curtains. If this isn’t enough, then take time to close your eyes and rest.
Drink Coffee or Tea
Caffeine has properties that can help soothe headaches or migraines. That’s why many pain relievers contain this chemical. You can take a moderate amount of coffee or tea at home, and observe how the pain slowly goes away.
This trick to get rid of your headache quickly is something you can yourself or with the help of a loved one. If your headache is a result of stress, try massaging your temples and neck for 5-10 minutes to help you relax.
Have some Ginger tea
Recent studies have shown that ginger isn’t only a natural remedy to nausea, cough and upset stomach, but also a good help to eliminate headache or stress. You can boil ginger at home or buy ginger tea supplements, and drink a cup or two whenever you experience headaches or migraines.
Drink Plenty of Water
Another way to get rid of your headache quickly is to drink plenty of water. Aside from preventing dehydration, it also helps alleviate hunger if you’ve skipped a meal for some reason. Hydrating yourself will maintain your body fluid and combat your stomach acids to prevent headaches.
Apply Essential Oils
Essential oils like lavender and peppermint are aromatic liquids that have many therapeutic benefits including headache relief. Peppermint oils are best applied to the temples while lavender oils are inhaled to achieve the optimum benefit.
Rest and sleep
Most of the time, a good long sleep does the trick . This helps lower your stress levels and rest your eyes and brain. Try listening to some relaxing music and put essential oils to your humidifier to help give you a nice deep sleep.
Headache Medicines at Greg Keily Chemist
These are simple ways to get rid of your headache quickly and naturally, but if you’ve tried all these and you still find yourself in pain, then the next thing to do is take Paracetamol medications like Panadol, Panamax, Herron, and Dymadon. These are over-the-counter medicines that you can take safely even on an empty stomach to combat headaches.
Greg Keily Chemist is a compounding pharmacy on the Gold Coast. Our experienced pharmacists will help you with any headache medicine-related questions, including the correct dosage and intake frequency.
Call us at Greg Keily Chemist on (07) 5555 7877 or visit us on 98 Marine Parade in Southport.